The Alamance-Burlington school board has been asked to name the media center at the new high school, Southeast, in honor of Henry A. and Margaret W. Scott, who were the parents of a Scott family member who sold the land for the new school to ABSS in 2020.
A donation of $25,000 is being offered to ABSS in exchange for the naming rights for the media center at Southeast High School, which is scheduled to open for the new school year on August 28.
Located at 3368 South N.C. Highway 119, Southeast High School was built on 96.35 acres of land that had been in the Scott family for nearly a century. Nancy Scott Fuller and her husband, Erwin Fuller, of Greensboro, had owned the property along with several other Scott family members before selling it to ABSS to build the new high school.
The proposed wording for a plaque outside the media center at Southeast would read: “Henry Alvord Scott and his wife, Margaret White Scott, were lifelong supporters of public education in Alamance County. Henry Scott served as a member of the Alamance County Board of Education for 24 years (1938-1962), including several terms as Board Chairman, and Margaret W. Scott was a longtime second grade teacher at Alexander Wilson School.”
The plaque also notes that, following their marriage in 1925, Henry and Margaret Scott had lived on the land, where they raised their four children and operated a successful dairy farm.”
The $25,000 donation would be used to stock the media center at Southeast, ABSS chief operations officer Greg Hook told school board members during their latest work session.
The family would purchase and install the plaque at the door outside the media center.
School board members are expected to vote on the naming proposal at their next meeting on August 28.