By Bob Sutton
Special to The Alamance News
With competitions in fall sports beginning next week, here’s a look at more coaches for first-year school Southeast Alamance:
• Volleyball coach D’Lainee Holman is in her first year as a head coach. She’s a former Southern Alamance player.
• The girls’ and boys’ tennis coach will be Adam Moneypenny, a former Southern Alamance athlete. He played college tennis for Chowan. After that, he spent nine years on the Chowan coaching staff for men’s and women’s tennis, including three years ending in 2021 as head coach of those teams.
• Matt LaFuria is the cross country coach.
• Richie Burke will coach the girls’ and boys’ golf teams. He’s a 1987 Southern Alamance graduate and now a self-employed stock trader.
Burke’s golf past includes three seasons on the college team at Elon, where he was cut as a freshman before taking a roster spot under longtime coach Bill Morningstar.
“The game was very, very, very good to me,” Burke, 54, said of golf. “Opened a lot of doors for me.”
Burke said he played extensively at now-defunct Shamrock Golf Club as a youth. He’s a former member at Mill Creek Golf Club, but he said most of his golf now comes in fundraiser events.
[Story continues below special subscription offer.]
More local sports news than is available anywhere else. Subscribe now so you won’t miss a single story. You’ll need to subscribe to have unlimited access to this and all other local news stories. Subscribe by Monday, August 14 in order to be included on mailing list for special football preview special section in August 17, 2023 edition.
• New wrestling coach Grant Gibson arrived after serving as an assistant coach at Cedar Ridge. He’s also an English teacher.
• The swimming coach will be Elizabeth Moreno.
• Tikeya James is the cheerleading coach and Kelly Fogleman is the dance team coach.
• Still to be filled are coaching slots for track and field and boys’ lacrosse.
Read more about other coaches who will debuting at Southeast Alamance during the high school’s first year (2023-2024):
Baseball: Adam Gunn https://alamancenews.com/adam-gunn-named-southeast-baseball-coach/
Basketball: Bo Williamson https://alamancenews.com/bo-williamson-sees-special-opportunity-as-first-southeast-basketball-coach/
Girls’ Basketball: Amy Surratt https://alamancenews.com/surratt-leaves-southern-patriots-to-become-first-southeast-girls-coach/
Soccer: Jackson Brooks https://alamancenews.com/jackson-brooks-to-head-southeast-soccer/
Softball: Tiffany Helton https://alamancenews.com/southeast-gets-first-softball-coach-tiffany-helton/
Athletic Director: B.J. Condron https://alamancenews.com/former-hawfields-teacher-coach-to-be-first-a-d-for-southeast-alamance/