The Burlington Fire Department responded to a possible passenger train fire Wednesday afternoon; a smoldering fire under one of the passenger cars was promptly extinguished after passengers had been evacuated from the car.
The fire call came in at approximately 12:40 p.m. Wednesday afternoon at the Amtrak Train Station, 101 North Main Street, Burlington. Fire department units arrived from the fire station a few blocks away in just over two minutes from the time of dispatch to find light smoking coming from underneath one of the passenger cars.
Fire crews began investigating the source of the smoke and found a small fire burning in an electrical chase which was located on the underside of one of the passenger carriages.
All passengers were safely evacuated, and the fire was under control in about 10 minutes, according to the fire department.
The cause of the fire was determined to be caused by natural debris that had collected in the electrical chase which ignited once it became combustible.
Rail traffic on the North Carolina Railroad section through Burlington was temporarily halted until the train could be moved.
Once the fire was extinguished and potential hazards addressed, the train was able to proceed safely to its next destination.
There were no injuries reported by any passengers, Amtrak personnel, or responders. The Burlington Fire Department was assisted by Norfolk-Southern and Amtrak personnel.