Gildan has notified the state Department of Commerce that the company will close its distribution center in Mebane in June and lay off 128 employees.
The distribution center is located at 7100 East Washington Street Extension in Mebane.
Federal law requires businesses with at least 100 full-time employees to provide 60 days’ notice of any planned closure that will result in mass layoffs.
[Story continues below photos.]
Gildan recently filed the required “Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification” (WARN notice) with the state commerce department.
Gildan is a Canadian-based textile manufacturer whose retail brands include: American Apparel, Gildan activewear, Goldtoe, and Peds. The company operates several other manufacturing and distribution centers in North Carolina.
Though the WARN report lists the Gildan facility as being located in Alamance County, the distribution center in Mebane – which straddles both Orange and Alamance counties – is located just over the Orange County line, according to the Orange County GIS mapping system. The property spans 16.45 acres and is owned by Stag 3 Mebane LLC, a real estate company based in Boston, Massachusetts, according to the Secretary of State’s office.
Gildan’s notice represents the first planned closure affecting Alamance County in 2022. No reports of closures were filed in 2021 by companies in Alamance County with 100 or more employees.
Gildan reportedly announced last week that the Mebane closure is part of an ongoing effort to streamline the company’s operations.
The distribution center in Mebane is scheduled to close on June 30, according to the notice that Gildan filed with the state commerce department.
Other Mebane news in this week’s edition:
- City council selects Katie Burkholder as new council member: https://alamancenews.com/breaking-mon-night-mebane-city-council-names-katie-burkholder-to-fill-remaining-two-years-of-patty-philipps-term/
- Council bids farewell to Patty Philipps who has resigned and and is moving to the NC coast: https://alamancenews.com/best-wishes-in-send-off-to-council-member-patty-philipps/
- Council approves rezoning for North Fifth Street building: https://alamancenews.com/mebane-city-council-approves-rezoning-along-north-5th-street/
- Council approves first downtown grants for build rehab: https://alamancenews.com/facade-grants-approved-for-five-mebane-downtown-buildings/
- Council names two new members of Racial Equity Advisory Committee, one new planning board member: https://alamancenews.com/two-new-members-appointed-to-fill-vacancies-on-mebanes-racial-equity-advisory-committee/