Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 pint jars
Hot Apple Pepper Jam is wonderful on toast or with cream cheese and crackers. Use it in marinades, salad dressings and sauces. If you’re worried it will be too hot, use fewer hot peppers and more sweet peppers or apples. As long as you have 4 cups total of “fruit.” This makes a great gift for your family. Simply put in decorative jars and attach a tag!
• 3 cups mixed hot & sweet peppers–cored & chopped fine
• 1 cup peeled, cored, finely chopped apple
• 3 cups sugar
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 packet of Sure-Jell
• Clean your jars and lids and get them ready to sterilize–either put them in the dishwasher on hot or heat them in a saucepan of water, get it warm, then boil for at least 5 minutes before using.
• Meanwhile, cut the stem off the peppers and remove any ribs from the middle. Take the seeds out of the sweet peppers. If you want extra hot jam, include some of the seeds from the hot peppers. Peel and core the apples and chop fine.
• Put the peppers and apples in a large saucepan.
• In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar with the Sure-Jell. Stir this into the pepper-apple mixture. Heat over medium-high heat until you reach a rolling boil (that is, when stirring, the mixture keeps boiling).
• Stir in the rest of the sugar, vinegar and water. Return to a full boil for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off any foam with a spoon.
• Ladle the hot jam immediately into the hot, sterilized jars. Cover with sterilized lids.
• Flip the jars upside down and let sit until cool, then flip them back upright. Leave the lids on for 24 hours. If any of your jars do not seal, keep them in the fridge and use within a month.
• Add a piece of decorative material to the top of the jar with a ribbon or apply a personalized label for Christmas gifts for friends and family to enjoy for months to come!