Mebane’s city council members were not impressed with a developer’s request to change the second entrance into a subdivision along NC 119, restricting the options for residents seeking to turn left (south) onto NC 119, or southbound residents desiring to turn left into the subdivision.
The Landing at Summerhaven, ultimately to have 78 single-family homes, is already under construction and has two entrances, both along NC 119 south of Mebane. The subdivision is also to be home to a private school on the northwest corner of the property near the northern entrance.
[Story continues below layout of the subdivisions and photo of current construction.]
Bob Dischinger, an engineer for the project and father of the developer, said that in order to save money, the developer would now like to modify the southernmost of the two entrances into the subdivision with right in/right out only turn lanes, putting up a 300-foot-long island along NC 119 to prevent left in/left out turns.
As approved by the city council in 2020, the development was to have two entrances, both of which would have left and right turns in and out of the development onto NC 119.
While Dischinger tried to portray the change as also improving safety, councilman Tim Bradley said whatever, if any, safety improvements might result from the change to the southern entrance would be offset by simply diverting the problems, and danger, to the northern entrance.
But much discussion focused on whether it was fair to residents who have already bought homes in the back portion of the development to have to wind their way to the northern entrance in order to turn left onto NC 119.
Council member Katie Burkholder said she didn’t “love seeing a change” after the city council had already approved the plans.
Councilman Tim Bradley added that he saw “no advantage to residents or the entities who will be serving” the subdivision. (Fire service, for instance, will be provided by the Swepsonville fire department, rather than Mebane, since the subdivision is outside the city’s municipal limits.)
Bradley ultimately made the motion, seconded by Burkholder, to deny the developer’s request; the denial motion was adopted unanimously the council.
LOTS MORE MEBANE NEWS IN THIS WEEK’S (JAN. 12) EDITION:
Duke Health begin work on medical office building, first project on 22 acres purchased by Duke Health in Mebane: https://alamancenews.com/duke-health-beginning-work-on-3-story-medical-office-bldg/
Land being cleared for dual-branded hotel along I-85/40 near Lowe’s Home Improvement: https://alamancenews.com/grading-begins-for-new-dual-branded-hotel-near-lowes/
City council annexes land where McKay Books plans to build: https://alamancenews.com/mckay-books-to-build-in-mebane/
What’s being built beside Hursey’s BBQ on NC 119?: https://alamancenews.com/the-public-asks-whats-being-built-beside-hurseys-bbq-in-mebane/
Long-time police chief to retire in July: https://alamancenews.com/mebane-police-chief-announces-retirement-this-time-for-real/
City council recommends that county commissioners appoint retired businessman David Scott to city’s planning board: https://alamancenews.com/mebane-council-recommends-commissioners-appoint-retired-businessman-david-scott-to-citys-planning-board/
Dunkin Donuts (finally) about to open – after 6-month delay: https://alamancenews.com/update-dunkin-donuts-in-mebane-prepares-finally-to-open/